Nothing can beat the shock Google algorithm updates give to SEO experts. It is enough to make you feel concerned and confused. But unfortunately, it appears search engines like Google wait for you to get acquainted with its features before unleashing an update that renders your efforts redundant.
Let’s be honest – no matter how skilled you are at search engine marketing, having some great SEO audit tools are important!
As you may have already observed, Google’s algorithm is getting increasingly complex. It’s no longer just a game of keywords. Instead, Google now uses many factors in its ranking. So, using audit tools can help you stay competitive and take your website rankings high on the search results.
6 Best SEO Audit Tools
Here are the free SEO audit tools you can use. Some of them also come with a paid option with more features. We’ve highlighted some of the best factors of every tool, as well as how you can use them to boost your SEO results.
1. Screaming Frog
Unlike most SEO audit tools, Screaming Frog is not a cloud-based software. Instead, it takes the form of an installable tool that crawls through the website, auditing SEO issues, retrieving on-site data, and evaluating the results promptly.
Both website owners and digital marketers can use it to scoop data from their web pages’ HTML, record server issues and broken links, and flag up blocked URLs. They also use this tool to analyze meta and title tags and recognize permanent and temporary redirects.
Some of the additional and incredible features of Screaming Frog are:
- It evaluates internal linking and URL structure.
- Google Search Console, Google Analytics, and PageSpeed Insights APIs are all supported.
- Identifies URLs that have been blocked by robots.txt, meta robots, and X-Robots-Tag directives.
- Detects content and elements that are duplicated.
- It finds both temporary and permanent redirects and redirects chains and loops.
- Creates XML Sitemaps and Image XML Sitemaps.
- Data is extracted from any HTML page using XPath, CSS Path, and regex.
- This tool detects broken links (404s) and server errors.
2. Ahrefs Site Audit
Furthermore, you don’t need to Google something that’s entirely unclear to you. Instead, you can use Ahrefs’ dashboard to figure out what’s wrong and how you can fix it. It’s beneficial! Site Audit is also convenient because there is no cumbersome software to download – it is a cloud-based tool.
Using Ahrefs, no page will go unchecked, and you’ll get a complete picture of your site’s health. In addition, most companies like Appsocio What is ar zone app?
consider Ahref as a convenient tool.
Some features of this tool are:
- Arhefs crawls your website’s mobile and desktop versions.
- Plans site crawls on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Displays a crawl log in real time.
- The tool enables the creation of custom filters based on various parameters.
- It covers over 100 pre-configured SEO issues, including hreflang, incoming and outgoing links, duplicates, pagination, and resources.
- Offers actionable advice for resolving SEO issues.
For more than a decade, SEMrush has established itself as one of the most veteran players in the SEO industry.
It is now a fully-featured digital marketing suite with over 40 intelligence tools specializing in competitor intelligence, keyword research, content optimization, paid Ad research, social media monitoring and rank tracking.
Moreover, it also examines problems related to HTTPS security protocols, website crawl ability, SEO content, and page loading speeds.
These are some amazing features of SEMrush:
- It executes thematic reports.
- Advanced filters are used to sort pages and audit results.
- SEMrush examines websites for more than 130 technical and SEO flaws.
- Analyzes the results of various SEO audits by comparing crawls.
- It incorporates Google Analytics.
- SEO issues are classified as Warnings, Errors, or Notices, depending on their severity.
- Insights into actionable resolutions are provided.
- SEMrush shows hows SEO audit results in the form of easy-to-understand graphs.
SpyFU is another well-known name in the search engine research community. And like SEMrush, it includes a plethora of digital marketing tools for backlink tracking, keyword research, PPC research, competitor research, rank tracking, and more.
However, it’s worth noting there isn’t a dedicated site audit tool. Instead, SpyFu includes various tools to give insights into your SEO campaign.
For example, it’s an SEO Keyword Research tool that highlights terrible keywords you should avoid, whereas Competitor Research identifies inherent pitfalls in other similar sites.
These are the tool’s incredible features:
- The tool identifies potential ranking possibilities.
- It detects flaws revealed by Google updates.
- Backlinks are vetted to remove duplicates and junk links.
- It compares your content to the cost-effective content of your competitors.
- SpyFu records the SEO performance of your domain throughout the last 15 years.
- It highlights the keywords that you don’t want to see.
- Displays the exclusive keywords for which your competitors rank but you do not.
5. Google Search Console
It is a free audit tool provided by Google that enables marketers, website administrators, and web developers to track their visibility in search engine results easily.
It offers a brief check through the insights and provides you with a better image of your site’s indexation and accessibility problems. Then, to top everything off, Google Search Console provides information about your HTML, structured data, broken links, and content quality.
A few features of Google Search Console
- Monitors, analyze, and tracks the performance of your AMP pages.
- Highlights failed indexing efforts as well as pages with 404 or 500 errors.
- Displays crawl statistics directly from Googlebot.
- Provides information on the queries that drive traffic to your website.
- This tool will assist you in determining how well your keywords are performing.
- Customizable audit reports are generated.
- Provides a content keywords tool for evaluating the performance of your keywords.
- Immediately sends email notifications when Google detects problems with your website.
- Examine your index coverage.
- Address user experience problems.
6. SE Ranking
SE Ranking directly competes with Ahrefs, SEMrush, and SpyFu as an exclusive SEO suite/tool. It emphasizes backlink tracking, keyword research, PPC research, on-page analysis, social media management, and website auditing.
However, SE Ranking’s auditing tool crawls your website by link while evaluating your entire website health, image optimization, user experience problems, SERP parameters, and meta tags and headers.
Once completed, it creates a comprehensive feedback report on all SEO issues and then provides you with actionable information on fixing them.
Additional features of SE Ranking are:
- With a single click, you can generate sitemap.xml.
- Examines all your website’s pages.
- Enables you to define what constitutes an SEO error.
- Instantaneously compares website audit instances to monitor your overall progress.
- The tool determines the most common words and phrases on a page.
- Provides actionable tips for resolving SEO problems.
- Gives data on the SEO friendliness and keyword optimization of your web content.
- Evaluates all your internal links in depth.
- Scans all the images on your website.
- Measures the speed at which your pages load.
- Identifies pages with missing or duplicate meta tags.
- Covers test domains and subdomains.
- Examines your index status.
- Examines the critical parameters of your website.
As seen, each of the tools we’ve highlighted here has their distinct features. Therefore, you can consider utilizing several at the same time.
For instance, you can run your site through three or four crawlers at a time, evaluate your pages with on-page checkers, or improve the quality of your content with tools like SEMrush, Copyscape, or WordCounter. You have a lot of choice.
Ultimately, combining multiple tools results in more detailed SEO writing with audits. And, luckily many of the best SEO audit tools are free of cost. So, you can benefit from it!
Meghan Miles is one of the top-notch technical writers and a digital marketer who has a Masters degree in Media Management. She is an enthusiastic woman who not only loves but enjoys her work. Meghan has worked for multiple renowned media and advertising agencies, but her passion for writing is unignorable. When not working, you can find her trying new foods, enjoying road trips, or reading books.